Sunday, May 20, 2012



TOO MUCH! too much has happened in the last couple weeks! i finally graduated with a bachelors in environmental studies (what do you do with that you ask? i would like to know as well).  i finished up my collegiate running career with a individual conference championship in the 10k and a second place finish in the 5k, and the first team conference title.  so bittersweet. i love this sport and i love competing.  I have the best teammates a girl could ever want. i feel bad because i have totally taken advantage of the fact that i get to spend 2-3 hours with my best buds everyday, without having to put any effort into organizing things.  

I start my first grown up job tomorrow at icon health and fitness in the freemotion section.  I can't wait. it is pretty much a dream job for me right now.  i get to do desk job stuff (not too fun) but also test out some equipment and work with really great people.  i am nervous to start a new job, mostly cause i am scared of being the new girl and not knowing people/ not having people to eat lunch with/ making a fool of myself.  

umm... Justin and I teach primary to the 11/12 year olds. i feel completely inadequate and if it is a preview of how my life as a mother is going to be then i know i am going to fail miserably.  when i ask one of them to do something and they say "no." i just kind of act like they didn't totally just act like the brattiest kid in the world.  i don't know what to do. i bribe them with food (which would always work for me), i am way nice to them, then i am way mean to them. NOTHING WORKS! i feel like they are like dogs and they can sense the fear in me.  

crazy life. 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on graduating! As far as your primary class, I can tell you what I think you should do (and what we told our teachers to do when I was in the primary presidency). At the start of one of your classes discuss what is expected in class. Ask them what they think should be expected as far as behavior and then talk about what you and Justin expect. Then start the three strike rule. Two warnings they are out of line and third time you take them to their parent. You are not there to babysit, you are there to teach. If they are really out of control, let your primary presidency know there are problems. We have a tough primary so I am mean. Russ taught the 11/12 year old class and they would scream and yell and stand on chairs.And all that with 4 men teachers on there. Ridiculous. I don't remember being that bad at that age. :) A primary class made me cry once, so I feel your pain. I am sure you guys are doing an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain with leaving your team. totally sucks.

    11/12 yr olds would be so hard! I taught the 5/6 yr olds for 2 years and they were just cute as can be. All the little girls wanted to sit on the lap and the boys would just babble about 'Cars 2' and puppies, haha.

    Something that they loved which helped keep them way attentive is when I brought the game Jenga. I would set it up at the start of class and as they answered questions for me they got to come up and pull one piece off. I don't know if 11/12 year olds are too old for that...but it worked like a charm for me!

    Good luck with the new job :)

    ReplyDelete