Thursday, January 31, 2013
things are changing at the H household. i am changing jobs next week. this is both exciting and sad. i am going to miss my old coworkers. its strange how attached you can get to some people without even realizing it. but i am also excited to wear sweatpants while i am working from home.
Thursday, November 1, 2012
still brings me joy to this day.
not a lot has been going on around here. yesterday was the most fun i have ever had on Halloween. I think the last couple of years we have had high expectations for halloween and have gone out trying to make it the most exciting thing ever, but last night we just got together with a group of friends, told scary stories and ate fall time treats. It was perfect.
i love this time of year, the weather is perfect. the air smells heavenly. and i just get so excited for fall/Christmas decorations and food!!
hope you had a good halloween!!!
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
A Liebster is a German word meaning dearest, sweetest, cutest. The award is given to up-and-coming bloggers with less than 200 followers. I am flattered that Kacee Houle from her blog Down South tagged me in this. Its been a long time since i have done a fillout. and it is a cold rainy day. what better activity to do?!
- Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
- Answer the questions the nominator asked, and create 11 questions for your nominees to answer.
- Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
- Go to their page and tell them.
- No tag-backs.
11 things about moi!
1. top five favorite animals are (in no particular order): unicorns, kittens, horses, dolphins, and wolves.
2. i once ran my car into the temple fence (it was a snowy day), it was right after i got baptized and everyone told me i was going to get excommunicated.
3. many people think i am african american
4. my two loves in life are my husband and FOOD!
5. i want to live on a farm with miniature ponies that keep my grass trimmed nice and short and have chickens and goats and lots of kitties.
6. i have been riding dirt bikes since age 6 and once had a dream of being a professional motocross racer.
7. i am deathly afraid of lightning and have been in way to many near misses.
8. favorite movie is titanic and i can recite every single line for you.
9. i cry more than anyone you will ever meet. every movie, touching commercial, etc. that i see brings tears to my eyes. i think my husband is immune to it now.
10. i have read the harry potter series over 25 times
11. i love my life and all the people in it. i feel so blessed every day for the life i have and the amazing people that are in it.
Kacee's Questions for me
- What is something you are most excited about in your life coming up in the near future? I know this is dumb, but i get really excited to sleep. so i am excited for tonight and the moment when my head hits the pillow. other than that i am excited for my husband's b-day!
- What would a perfect food day be (what would your meals and snacks be)? without the consequences of feeling fat and sick after? i would want tikka marsala from tandori oven, yellow curry, my mom's egg rolls, pho, a cheese dog, bubble tea smoothie, maybe some mushroom ravioli with a Gorgonzola cheese sauce, and some zuppa toscana, or a tomato bisque. can you tell i worship food?
- What is one of your quirks that people typically don't know about? I hate being called bud or pal.
- What is a simple thing that makes you happy? being with my husband, cheesy, but true. also, the smell of fresh laundry.
- What came first, the chicken or the egg? the cheggen
- What is your favorite time of day? just before sunset when everything turns a pretty golden color.
- What is one of your best memories? jumping up and down on my bed with justin while singing songs.
- What is something you are proud of that you accomplished? learning how to show people i care about them.
- What is your favorite time of the year and why? spring and fall, cause it's not to hot, and not too cold... it's juuuuuuuuust right!
- Who is someone you look up to? my mother-in-law merilyn and my mother because they are the most genuine, caring, toughest women i have ever met.
- What do you want to be when you 'grow up'? a mom, a happy person, a good wife, i would also like to do any sort of work helping people.
My Questions for you!!!
1. Top five favorite animals?
2. if you were an animal what would you be?
3. Who has been the most influential person in your life other than your parents and significant other?
4. if you could do ANYTHING in the world for an occupation what would it be?
5. what would you do with a million dollars?
6. how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
7. what is something nice that someone did for you today?
8. what's your favorite physical feature?
9. If you could live during a different era when would you want to live?
10. where were you when you found out micheal jackson died?
11. where is the furthest you have been away from home?
I TAG EVERYONE THAT READS THIS.... it's probably less than eleven, but i want YOU to do it!!! and leave me a comment so i can see your answers to my questions! :)
Monday, September 17, 2012
Pretty much the entire weekend was spent on the couch. I was sick. justin ran a marathon saturday (i was supposed to run it but he did it for me. true love. he ran a 3:25 without really training, the most he had ran before that was 13 miles. crazy boy). So we were both incapacitated on the couches all weekend. It was kind of a nice change of pace though, to just relax together.
Here is a picture of justin in the marathon. I rode my bike next to him from mile 19 to the finish.
He is amazing.
anywhoo, as promised. here is part II of "why we are never leaving the house"
Last saturday we decided we really needed to take advantage of the cooler weather and put our mountain bikes to use. We picked out a trail justin found online, it was about 16 miles long.
We got up there and it was such a blast, it was a steep climb, but we were feeling good. Then things took a turn for the worse.
i ran out of water about halfway up.
we took a wrong trail that ended up going straight up a huge mountain.
then we had to go straight down a mountain to get to the destination: Old Ephraim's grave
(old ephraim is supposedly the last grizzly bear to live in Utah)
By this time i was super grouchy about not having anymore water (anyone who knows me, knows that lack of food and water is the worst possible thing that can happen to me). there were people picnicking at old ephraim's grave and i wanted to ask them for water, but justin felt weird about it.
before we left a little kid went up to his mom and said:
little kid: Mom!! what should i do with the rest of my drink cause i can't take it on the 4-wheeler? should i just pour it out?
Mom: Yeah, just pour it out on the ground
he then proceeded to pour it out on the ground, i watched longingly, licking my parched lips.
so then we took off, we had to ride a mile up the steepest road to connect to the other trail that would take us down to our car. we thought we found the right trail to go down on. it was so overgrown, and there were spots where you couldn't even see the trail because it was so faded. the whole time i was thinking "this seriously is the most ridiculous trail."
then we got to a point where we couldn't see the trail at all.
then i threw up from dehydration
then i started crying
then justin told me that he realized that if we were ever going hungry HE would have to be the one to keep my spirits up.
which was exactly what i wanted to hear right then....
so i took out the map and realized we were not even on a trail, we were on a ridge, and the trail we were supposed to be on was in a canyon below us.
I told justin i thought we should just hike straight down the mountain.
So we did.
When we got to the bottom and finally got onto the right trail i was so so so happy. we got to a river and i just drank straight out of that thing.
i didn't care about gardia at this point.
it tasted sooooo good.
then we went home and pigged out on snowcones and food.
what should have been a 4 hour bike ride turned into a 8 hour ride.
as always, i can say it's gonna be a good story for our kids to hear.
This was before i was grouchy.
Monday, September 10, 2012
I think we are done being adventurous for a while.
between the last two weekends we have decided we are not cut out for any sort of adventurous activity.
we probably just shouldn't even leave the house.
Over labor day weekend we had planned on going backpacking in the Unitas. This was to be our last chance this summer and there was nothing that was going to stand in our way.
not even a weather forecast of rain all weekend.
We decided we wanted to hike and camp at amethyst lake. we got up there at about 8:30 and set up camp in the dark. the whole hike to the lake was fabulous.
it was so fun to just be on an adventure with only me and my husband.
not to mention it was gorgeous!!
So we went to bed and the wind started howling. there were huge gusts of wind all night long. for some reason i was really scared and creeped out and couldn't sleep all night. i just had a weird feeling in my gut.
7 am rolled around and it was raining. i woke up to thunder.
justin looked outside the tent and said, "uh, kim, i don't want you to look outside.... we are like 10 feet under the clouds."
now begins my panic.
i am deathly afraid of lighting, and there we were camped upon the highest ridge.
i just layed down and tried not to panic, but the flashes of light and booms of thunder just kept getting closer and closer.
justin tried his hardest to stay calm for me. bless his heart.
he said he thought we should get out of the tent and go to lower ground.
i said h to the ell no, am i getting out of the tent.
then a flash of lightning and boom of thunder happened simultaneously. So we put on our ponchos and ran down the mountain.
we would run, then lay down in a meadow until there was a flash of lightening.
then we would run and do the same thing.
over and over.
until finally we figured we were low enough and we layed in a meadow for 30 minutes as it started to hail.
by the time we got back to camp, we realized we had left the tent fly open.
all our stuff was wet, we were soaked.
so we made the best decision of the weekend and we decided to go to justin's grandparent's lake house at bear lake.
turns out someone died in the very spot we camped this summer because they got struck by lightening.
turns out everyone else knows not to camp where we camped.
Also, it turned into quite the sunny day when we left.
here's some pictures
The first glimpse of sunshine
such a beauty
happy to be alive
grouchy, soaked, justin.
this was on the hike up, so i was happy at this point.
soaked pants, soaked/muddy socks
all in all, it was a great experience. we learned a lot. but it really was a great memory that i will always have.
just wait for part II of "why we are never leaving the house" it gets even better.
Thursday, August 30, 2012
Everyone has been asking me if i am still running now that i have graduated. the answer is yes.
i mean i have been running. just not nearly as much as i used to. i took a good month and a half break.
but no more.
once i started to see my body changing and atrophying i decided i needed to figure out my feelings towards running.
you see, i love the competition of running, i love running with people and the social part of it.
i don't love running just to run.
it makes me tired. haha.
but i am working on it. I am trying to just enjoy it, and enjoy the feeling of working out again.
i don't think i will every be what i once was, and i think that's okay, but it is honestly hard for me to accept, and then i just don't want to run.
i know people who can just never let it go, running and competing after college is more important to them than working or family, etc.
I DON'T WANT TO BE THAT!!
I also don't want to be out of shape.
so i am trying to find a balance.
so this week i have been waking up at 6:30 to run before work.
i have started out with 30 minutes, and now i am up to 45.
i want to get to the point of running an hour in the morning. that would suffice.
i also want to get to the point where i LOVE running because it is beautiful and feels amazing.
i want to not feel guilty if i miss a day of running.
and i want to explore other forms of exercise and activities.
i miss my team.